Cleanup Columbia 2020 with Minority Men’s Network – Saturday 4.11.2020 @9am
The Minority Men’s Network will again participate in Cleanup Columbia. We have requested our usual area of Garth Avenue from Business Loop 70 down to Ash Street. Network members have been volunteers for this event since 2005 and Doug Simmons has coordinated our participation every year. IF you’d like to participate with us as a Member or a Friend, please contact Doug at (573) 999-4152. The more help we have, the quicker we finish! And YES, we have extra REACHERS!!
To learn more visit https://www.como.gov/volunteer/volunteer-opportunities/cleanup-columbia/
What is Cleanup Columbia?
Cleanup Columbia is a city-wide trash pick up event where hundreds of local residents work together to make our city a more beautiful place. The city will provide volunteers with trash bags, gloves, safety vests (where needed) and help you find a trash pick up location. Volunteers pick up trash in the morning and are asked to start no later than 10 a.m. Columbia Utilities or Parks & Recreation will pick up your filled bags. This is a wonderful event for individuals and groups of all sizes and people of all ages and abilities. All volunteers are invited to join us for a post cleanup lunch at Twin Lakes Recreation Area.
Cleanup Columbia’s 24th annual city-wide trash pick up event is being held Saturday, April 11th! Hundreds of residents will work together to make our city a more beautiful place.
Cleanup Columbia is a great service activity for individuals of all ages and abilities and groups of all sizes. City staff will match volunteers to a cleanup location and will provide bags, gloves and safety equipment.
Registration is now open!
Please Tell Us: Where Do You See Trash? (We will work to assign volunteers to those locations!)
The Cleanup Columbia instruction sheet is a great tool to review tips for a successful event.
Supply pick up locations:
- Farmers Market, 1701 W Ash (Saturday, April 6, 8 a.m.-12 p.m.)
- City Hall, 701 E Broadway (Monday, April 8-Friday, April 12 anytime 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Grace Bible, 601 Blue Ridge Rd. (Wednesday, April 10, 4-7 p.m.)
- Chamber Showcase CoMo at the Crossing, 3615 Southland Dr. (Thursday, April 11, 1-6 p.m.)
- Rock Quarry House, 2002 Grindstone Parkway (Thursday, April 11, 3-6 p.m; Friday, April 12, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. or Saturday, April 13, 7:30-9 a.m.)
Where to leave trash (please fill and secure each bag):
- If cleaning STREETS, leave bags clustered along street, close to the curb but not so close that the bags will fall into the street
- If cleaning PARKS, leave bags near park trash receptacles
- If cleaning STREAMS, leave bags along nearest roadway, close to the curb but not so close that the bags will fall into the street.
- If cleaning TRAILS, leave bags near trash can at trailhead.
- Recyclable materials may be dropped at one of the drop-off locations around town, or put out with your household recycling.
What to do with supplies after the cleanup: Please drop off at City Hall, 701 E. Broadway along with your response card. You may leave supplies at the reception desk.
FUN FACT: More than 1,500 volunteers shared nearly 3,000 hours of service in 2018; picking up almost 1,800 bags of trash along our streets, trails, parks and streams. Thank you to the volunteers who participated last year and we look forward to seeing you at this year’s cleanup on Saturday, April 11!
Thank you for making a difference in Columbia!
We appreciate the support of our sponsors: KOMU TV 8, Mid-Missouri CW, 102.3 BXR, KFRU AM 1400, The Columbia Missourian, Socket and Veterans United Home Loans. We also want to thank City of Columbia Utilities – Solid Waste and Columbia Parks & Recreation for their support!
For more information contact the City of Columbia Volunteer Programs at 874-7499 or email us.